How Do Laser Therapy Treatments Work?
Laser therapy is a drug-free method of encouraging circulation, reducing swelling, and helping your body repair itself more quickly. The targeted beam of light penetrates deep into the area and stimulates cellular activity, trigging the body’s natural biological and biochemical responses. The dual-wavelength laser promotes healing by:
- Boosting cell metabolism so that cells surrounding the injury site repair the damage more quickly
- Increasing the supply of blood, growth factors, and other nutrients to the site
- Encouraging the outward flow of waste materials and excess fluid from the site
- Bolstering immune response in the injured area to prevent infection
What Foot Conditions Can Be Treated With Laser Therapy in Missouri?
We always conduct a thorough examination to understand all potential causes of foot and ankle injuries before recommending laser treatment. Many different conditions could benefit from laser therapy, including:
- Heel pain. Laser treatments can accelerate tissue repair in many common heel conditions, such as plantar fasciitis, bursitis, Achilles tendinitis, and diabetic wounds.
- Fungal nails. Fungal nail infections can be unsightly or even dangerous if the patient has a compromised immune system. Laser treatments eliminate the fungal cells without harming the healthy skin or nail bed.
- Stress fractures. Our laser is powerful enough to treat damage to bone tissue, reducing pain and promoting healing after a sports injury or repetitive strain fracture.
- Nerve pain. Patients may undergo laser treatment to ease the discomfort of peripheral neuropathy, neuromas, and other nerve disorders.
- Inflammation. The laser has a strong anti-inflammatory effect, reducing the swelling from muscle sprains, tendon and ligament injuries, arthritis, and post-surgical recovery.
Is Laser Therapy Right for You? Our Lee's Summit Podiatrist Explains
Laser therapy is a steady course of treatment that takes place over several individual sessions, each lasting about 15 minutes. The laser is passed over the affected area at each appointment to stimulate the body’s natural processes. Full recovery typically takes a few weeks, but pain and swelling should noticeably improve as treatment progresses. The benefits of laser therapy include the following:
- Consistent improvement. Laser treatment has a higher success rate than other topical therapies (such as creams or ointments) and delivers an accurate, repeatable therapeutic dosage every time.
- No medications. Stand-alone laser therapy gives patients with drug sensitivities a way to heal without placing them at risk of medication interactions or unintended effects.
- No side effects. MLS laser therapy has no known side effects.
- No incisions. As an entirely non-invasive procedure, laser therapy doesn’t require injections or incisions and often allows patients to avoid these in the future.
- No downtime. You do not need to make any special preparations before receiving therapy or follow any at-home recovery instructions afterward.
- Customization. Depending on your condition, laser therapy can be combined with medication, physical therapy, orthotics, or other treatments without added risk to a patient’s recovery.
- Painless sessions. The procedure itself is quick and painless, and many patients report less pain from their underlying condition in the days following treatment.
- Faster recovery. Our laser is one of the most powerful available, offering significantly reduced treatment times and a quicker return to daily activities for our patients.
- Long-term results. Laser therapy doesn’t just ease symptoms; it works to heal an injury from the inside out. By treating the root cause slowly and consistently, many patients experience long-lasting pain relief.
Ask Us About Laser Therapy for Your Feet or Ankles at Our Lee's Summit Office
If you have any questions about laser therapy in Missouri, please don’t hesitate to call us at (816) 246-4222. Joel Foster, DPM, serves patients in Lee’s Summit and throughout the Kansas City metro area—and since we are a direct-pay practice, you have the freedom to get the best possible treatment for your condition. Contact us today to kick your foot pain for good!