Surgery is rarely the first choice when it comes to treating painful foot and ankle conditions. If we can fix the problem through conservative options, such as custom orthotics, therapeutic laser treatments, physical therapy, or other means, we prefer to exhaust those options first—and most of our patients agree.
However, sometimes a surgical procedure is the best—or only—way to overcome your discomfort and return to a pain-free, active lifestyle. That said, many people are nervous about going under the knife and understandably want to be certain that they will see good results with as little cost or pain as possible. That’s why Dr. Joel Foster is proud to offer minimally invasive surgery for a variety of painful foot conditions.
What is Minimally Invasive Surgery
What exactly do we mean by minimally invasive surgery? Unlike more traditional open surgeries, a minimally invasive procedure requires only small incisions. Rather than making a big cut and opening up the toe or foot, a minimally invasive procedure uses a small rotary tool to cut a tiny opening—not much larger than the space required to use the necessary instruments, sometimes as little as an eighth of an inch. Closure often requires just one stitch.
Conditions Treated With Minimally Invasive Surgery
Minimally invasive surgery is frequently used for foot deformities or conditions where prominent, bony bumps rub painfully against the inside of your shoe. Hammertoes, a condition where toe joints have bent and become stuck in an arched, hammer-like position, are the most notable example. Painful corns between toes, formed by bone spurs underneath, are also frequently fixed using minimally invasive surgery. Also most bunions, tailor’s bunions and many other conditions can be resolved with minimally invasive techniques.
Why Choose Minimally Invasive Surgery
Minimally invasive surgical techniques offer significant advantages over traditional open surgeries, including:
- Lower risk of infection and complications. Smaller incisions mean less opportunity for undesirable microorganisms to enter your body.
- Less post-operative pain and scarring. Smaller incisions also mean less pain and swelling after the operation and often a better aesthetic result as well.
- More convenient. Most minimally invasive procedures can be performed out-patient in our office. You won’t have to worry about a hospital stay, eating after midnight the night before, or many of the inconveniences related to most other surgeries.
- Faster treatment. In some cases, you’re out the door just 45 minutes after your procedure, and most people can return to work and other normal activities faster than with traditional surgery.
- Lower cost. The majority of minimally invasive surgical procedures can be done in our in office surgical room rather than making a trip to the hospital. This could save you thousands of dollars of hospital and anesthesia charges.
Usually, you have to choose between quality and price. It’s not often that a medical procedure can offer both a lower cost and better results than the alternative, but that is frequently the case with minimally invasive surgery. Our goal is always to provide every patient who walks through our door with the relief they need as quickly and affordably as possible, which is why we’re thrilled to be able to offer this procedure for those who qualify.
Schedule an Appointment at Our Lee's Summit Office Today
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Joel Foster in Lee’s Summit, Missouri and find out if minimally invasive surgery can help you overcome your foot pain, please call us today at 816-246-4222 or fill out our online contact form here.